St. Patrick’s Day to Generate More Than $4B in Sales | News – Advertising Age
Consumers Spend Plenty of Green for St. Patrick’s Day
Holiday Expected to Generate More Than $4 Billion in Sales
Published: March 08, 2011
Turns out green beer and shamrocks are a multibillion-dollar business.
More than half of all Americans are expected to celebrate St. Patrick’s Day this year, spending more than $4 billion in the process. According to a new survey from the National Retail Federation and BigResearch, 122 million consumers plan to celebrate this year, up from 111 million a year ago. It’s the biggest turnout for St. Patrick’s Day in the survey’s eight-year history.
Wear green 83%
Make a special dinner 34%
Attend a party at a bar, restaurant 31%
Attend a private party 19%
“March is typically one of the slower months of the year, in terms of consumer spending, but we expect this year’s celebration to provide a nice boost for companies who are in the business of promoting the holiday,” said Phil Rist, exec VP strategic initiatives at BigResearch.
St. Patrick’s Day Spending
- Do You Decorate For St. Patrick’s Day? (casasugar.com)
- 10 Ways to Decorate With Green For St. Patrick’s Day (casasugar.com)
- Roundup: St. Patrick’s Day Decor (casasugar.com)
- A Low-Cal Basil Gimlet Makes For a Happy St. Patrick’s Day (fitsugar.com)
- Happy St. Patrick’s Day! (canuckxswede.wordpress.com)