Mobile advertising – Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Some see mobile advertising as closely related to online or internet advertising, though its reach is far greater – currently, most mobile advertising is targeted at mobile phones, that came inestimably to a global total of 4.6 billion as of 2009. Notably computers, including desktops and laptops, are currently estimated at 1.1 billion globally.
It is probable that advertisers and media industry will increasingly take account of a bigger and fast-growing mobile market, though it remains at around 1% of global advertising spent. Mobile media is evolving rapidly and while mobile phones will continue to be the mainstay, it is not clear whether mobile phones based on cellular backhaul or smartphones based on WiFi hot spot or WiMAX hot zone will also strengthen. However, such is the emergence of this form of advertising, that there is now a dedicated global awards ceremony organised every year by Visiongain.
As mobile phones outnumber TV sets by over 3 to 1, and PC based internet users by over 4 to 1, and the total laptop and desktop PC population by nearly 5 to 1, advertisers in many markets have recently rushed to this media. In Spain 75% of mobile phone owners receive ads, in France 62% and in Japan 54%. More remarkably as mobile advertising matures, like in the most advanced markets, the user involvement also matures. In Japan today, already 44% of mobile phone owners click on ads they receive on their phones. Mobile advertising was worth 900 million dollars in Japan alone. According to the research firm Berg Insight the global mobile advertising market that was estimated to € 1 billion in 2008. Furthermore, Berg Insight forecasts the global mobile advertising market to grow at a compound annual growth rate of 43 percent to € 8.7 billion in 2014.
Types of mobile ads
In some markets, this type of advertising is most commonly seen as a Mobile Web Banner (top of page) or Mobile Web Poster (bottom of page banner), while in others, it is dominated by SMS advertising (which has been estimated at over 90% of mobile marketing revenue worldwide). Other forms include MMS advertising, advertising within mobile games and mobile videos, during mobile TV receipt, full-screen interstices, which appear while a requested item of mobile content or mobile web page is loading up, and audio advertisements that can take the form of a jingle before a voicemail recording, or an audio recording played while interacting with a telephone-based service such as movie ticketing or directory assistance.
- Mobile advertising revenues to triple by 2016 (mobile-ent.biz)
- AP + 40 Leading Newspapers Launch Mobile Advertising Circulars (innovationscout.wordpress.com)
- Why Mobile is Crucial to your Local Marketing Strategy (customerthink.com)
- How Will Mobile Reshape Online Advertising? (informationweek.com)
- Apprupt Raises More Funding For Mobile In-Content Advertising Technology (techcrunch.com)
- iAd – The ‘Next Big Thing’ for Steve Jobs and Apple? (netwidz.com)
- Monetization on mobile can’t be like the web (gigaom.com)
- Infographic: Mobile advertising battle of the sexes (gigaom.com)
- Google pushes advertisers to optimize sites for mobile (gigaom.com)
- Is Mobile Marketing Right for Your Business? (singlegrain.com)
- Mobile Advertising: Personalized Ads, Coupons Score With Users (paidcontent.org)
- Mobile Marketing (mmkamal.wordpress.com)
- Borrell: 20% of Local Marketing Budgets Planned for Mobile (christianlouca.com)
- Blueweb Mobile Media – Capture Your Audience (mobilitycloud.wordpress.com)
- QR Codes Or SMS – The Mobile Marketing Battle Heats Up (stargroup1.com)
- All you MUST Know About Text Advertising (preciseinternetmarketing.com)
- First Victoria’s Secret, Now Gatorade: Maybe Pandora Was Wrong about Mobile Advertising After All (marketingvox.com)
- Make Money Online (okaztle.wordpress.com)
- YuMe CEO on the Big Opportunities in Mobile Video Advertising (beet.tv)
- Future Trends in Mobile Advertising (kbritch.wordpress.com)
- Publishers Favor Smartphone Platforms for Mobile Advertising (cash-bandit.com)
- Africa Mobile Ads Grow 40% in Three Months (readwriteweb.com)
- Green marketing – Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (thegreenmarketingcompany.wordpress.com)