Green Marketing Strategy
Choosing the right green marketing strategy begins with reaching Behavioral Greens, the approximately 62 million Americans who think and act “Green,” hold negative attitudes toward products that pollute, incorporate Green practices regularly and include Green as one of their purchasing criteria. A portion of purchases typically go to environmental causes, and they are likely to buy from an ecofriendly company.
Behavioral Greens tend to be optimistic and have traditional values. They are concerned for their own health while balancing career and personal interests. Family is important to them, but their children are out of the house so they focus on relaxing and maintaining healthy living. Some Behavioral Greens are entering retirement and enjoying a new chapter in life.
Mature adults and retirees
College graduate or higher degree
Typically own their homes
Shopping Behavior – brand loyalists, knowledgeable consumers and approval seekers
Leisure – yoga, tennis, skin diving, snorkeling, backpacking, hiking, museums and traveling
The chart below shows that among U.S. adults over the past four years, the number of Behavioral Greens has increased and now represents 31 percent of the total population.
When you can categorize consumers by their degree of Green activity, your Green marketing strategy will thrive.
What Behavioral Green consumers believe
There are not enough ecofriendly products available
It is important to be seen as environmentally conscious
Companies should help consumers become more environmentally responsible
How to reach them – This group tends to be more receptive to traditional advertising than any of the other GreenAwareSM segments. Behavioral Greens maintain that they remember ads when shopping, that advertising can help them learn about available products and that they expect advertising to be interesting.
- Join my network of 909 professionals on LinkedIn (thegreenmarketingcompany.wordpress.com)
- The Green Marketing Company: Global Expansion (thegreenmarketingcompany.wordpress.com)
- The Green Marketing Company: About US (thegreenmarketingcompany.wordpress.com)
- Opportunities in Connecticut with The Green Marketing Company (thegreenmarketingcompany.wordpress.com)
- The Green Marketing Company: Where We Are Headed (thegreenmarketingcompany.wordpress.com)
- Green Marketing is Dead: New White Paper Investigates the Overuse of Green Marketing (prweb.com)
- Global Green Marketing Market to Reach $3.5 Trillion by 2017, According to a New Report by Global Industry Analysts, Inc. (prweb.com)
- Brands Line Up for Good and Green(R) – The Green Marketing Conference (prweb.com)
- The Green Marketing Company: What We Do (thegreenmarketingcompany.wordpress.com)
- Green Marketing Insight From GfK Roper’s Green Gauge at Green Marketing Conference (prweb.com)