How Green are Your Promotional Products? – Green Marketing TV
How Green are Your Promotional Products?
As a green business owner or sustainable brand, having a greener trade show may be high on your priority list. From generating less trash, to giving away greener swag, there are many ways to lighten your trade show eco footprint.
The promotional gifts industry has been awash with so called “green” promotional products over the last few years, with a large section of this huge industry being dedicated to items that claim to be kinder to the environment. While this sounds great in theory, what is the reality behind the eco-friendly credentials of these items and how might they benefit, as well as damage, the marketing ambitions of well-meaning companies?
A disclaimer, as a marketer working for The Promotional Gifts Company in the UK, I represent one of those companies that offer eco-friendly promotional products. What follows is not a sales pitch to convince you of the virtues of these items but hopefully the start of a debate into the true sustainability of marketing products in general, and whether in fact any disposable commodities can ever truly be labelled as “eco-friendly”.
Take a brief moment to look up from this article and have a scan around your office. Whether you’re working from home or in an open plan setting, chances are there will be branded promotional products in your eye line. From pens to calendars, coasters to mugs, the modern workplace is full of branded goods from suppliers and clients that are emblazoned with the company logo.
Now times the number of promotional items in your office by the number of offices in the world and you have a staggering amount of these products that are adorning the desks and walls of companies around the globe.
The promotional products industry is responsible for a huge amount of the goods that are manufactured, distributed, used and disposed of every year and so on the face of it, coming up with an environmentally friendly solution is a great idea. But when you are shopping for promotional products, it is worth reading the small print to see if these items truly match up to your green credentials.
Reusable, Recycled, Recyclable, Bio-degradable……
The list of credentials required for a product to be considered “environmentally friendly” seems quite open to interpretation. Just because a product can be reused, does it necessarily make it kinder to the planet? When browsing the eco-friendly section of your favourite promotional products website (it’s cool if it’s not mine, honest….), check the small print to see what actually makes that product “eco-friendly”.
- Join my network of 909 professionals on LinkedIn (thegreenmarketingcompany.wordpress.com)
- The Green Marketing Company: About US (thegreenmarketingcompany.wordpress.com)
- The Green Marketing Company: Where We Are Headed (thegreenmarketingcompany.wordpress.com)
- The Green Marketing Company: Accounting (thegreenmarketingcompany.wordpress.com)
- The Green Marketing Company: Global Expansion (thegreenmarketingcompany.wordpress.com)
- Taiwan Green Trade Pavilion — Joint Signing Ceremony for a Green Earth Planting Green LED Seeds to Make a Pledge for a Better Future (prweb.com)
- Promo-Place.com, Online Promotional Products Company, Launches New Gifts for Customers and Employees for 2010 (prweb.com)
- Print it Green: An International Network of Green Print Shops (thegreenmarketingcompany.wordpress.com)
- Factory Direct Promos Releases New Cool & Unique Eco Friendly Promotional Products For Businesses (prweb.com)
- Promotional Ideas from HK Wine and Spirits Fair (theodmgroup.com)