We Help Green Businesses Grow
What is our vision?
A world where human activities live in harmony with the earth’s carrying capacity.
What is the definition of Sustainable Business?
Business that contributes to an equitable and ecologically sustainable economy.
How does a business do this?
Sustainable businesses offer products and services that fulfill society’s needs while contributing to the well-being of all earth’s inhabitants.
Sustainable businesses operate across all business sectors: energy efficiency and renewable energy generation, water and wastewater treatment, resource-efficient industrial processes, advanced materials, transportation and agriculture. They create products and services that compete on price and performance while significantly reducing humankind‘s impact on the environment.
Sustainable technologies – also called cleantech or greentech today – improve financial performance because products are made using less energy and materials, and less waste and toxics. These companies tend to attract experienced, visionary management and top employees. They also attract leading suppliers and customers who want to work with and buy from companies that contribute to their own green business strategies.
We are the future of business: organic products, efficient and renewable energy, green materials, recycled products, and green building. Isn’t it about time?
The Business of Restoration & Stewardship: True Sustainable Business
We are witnessing the beginning of a profound transformation – the successor to the Agricultural and Industrial Revolutions – the Environmental Revolution. We are finally in the early stages of transitioning from our current extractive, exploitive economy into one where humans will learn to live within the means of nature. At the 11th hour of climate change, biodiversity collapse and extreme human overpopulation, society is starting to get serious about doing things differently. That is the silver lining to the grave environmental problems human and animal-kind are about to experience – out of the impending crisis will come true change.
The fundamental long term goal is a re-ordering of priorities. “Quality of Life” – the stuff that makes us human – will eventually supersede profits #for business# and consumption #for “consumers”#. In the next stage of our evolution, the role of business will change from thoughtless Industrial Age producer of endless products and profits for an unsustainably expanding population and economy to Environmental Age trader of services and products necessary to maintain a steady state balance for life on earth.
We’re nowhere near attaining this vision, but since we opened our web doors at SustainableBusiness.com in 1996, the landscape has completely changed. In the last few years, as the science behind climate change became irrefutable (and, luckily, gas prices spiked), we’ve seen every segment of society commit
- Most Read Sustainable Business Stories of 2011 (environmentalleader.com)
- Business Sustainability Strategy: Building the Base (cleantechies.com)
- The business case for sustainability (betrindade.wordpress.com)
- Is Shiny Object Syndrome Blinding You From Building A Sustainable Business? (entrepreneurs-journey.com)
- Green Microbreweries: Crafting a Sustainable Business (sustainablecitiescollective.com)
- Sustainability: The Business Case (johnhardman.wordpress.com)
- Green Drinks hosts Gainesville City Commission Candidate Forum January 4th (gogreennation.org)
- Exploring Positive Engagement as a Primary Sustainability Driver (cleantechies.com)
- Sustainability Basic Information (thegreenmarketingcompany.wordpress.com)
- Ode to Environmental Protection and Sustainability (panokroko.wordpress.com)